Pearlstone’s Sustainable Operations
Here are some of our efforts to run a greener and more sustainable operation:
- We have a Sustainability Policy. Click HERE to read it!
- Our Green Wellness Team meets monthly.
- We designed and built an interactive Sustainability Kiosk located in our lobby.
- We use green-certified cleaning products and recycled paper products.
- We developed and use sustainability criteria for product specification during remodeling and renovation.
- We implemented Energy Conservation Measures (ECMs), such as the installation of a building automation system, to reduce usage and costs.
- Compared to the baseline year of 2015, Pearlstone realized a 28% decrease in site Energy Use Intensity (EUI) at year end 2017! This corresponds to a 30% decrease in cost and a 27% decrease in total Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions.
- We utilize a solar water installation to provide hot water to the kitchen, saving about 30% each year in propane usage.
- Utilized throughout our farm is a drip irrigation system for watering plants efficiently without wasting water. According to the EPA, drip irrigation systems can save up to 30,000 gallons of water per year, which is about three times what the average landscape consumes.
- Faucets throughout the building and lodge rooms have aerators which reduce the amount of water flowing from the faucet to conserve water.
- In 2017 we donated 10% of our harvest (5,000 pounds) to local food bank and food rescues.
- We collect 31,000 pounds of food scraps each year which we compost on site with yard and farm debris.
- In 2017, we generated 60,000 pounds of biologically rich compost that we gifted back to the earth.
To learn more or get involved, contact Joan Plisko, Community Sustainability Director.
Pearlstone Sustainability By The Numbers
30% Propane usage reduction annually, due to new solar thermal hot water heater
10,000 Pounds of organic produce donated to local food banks and food rescues by Pearlstone, annually
31,000 Pounds of food scraps composted on-site at Pearlstone, annually
28% Decrease in Pearlstone's energy use intensity in the past 2 years
65,000 Kilowatt hours per year saved, due to LED lighting upgrade
70% Plant-based meals served to guests